William Penn Charter School
An Incredible Rout . . .
On Dec. 17, 1934, in a non-league
home game, Penn Charter roughed up Bryn Athyn School
(now known as The Academy of the New Church) by a score of 85-8.
Having won 16 consecutive games beforehand, going back to the previous season, PC was
coming off back-to-back losses to Public League members Olney and Overbrook.
Bryn Athyn had returned to varsity basketball after not having a team in the 1932, '33 and
'34 school years.
PC roared to a 50-4 lead in the first half and held BA to no field goals. In all, the Quakers
notched 40 field goals and shot 5-for-6 at the foul line.
Coach Sam "Duke" Taylor's varsity included 10 players. Nine scored. The one with zero
was Jim Levering.
Point totals for the others . . . (first names not available for all; captain Henry Payson "Pace"
Brickley was unavailable due to injury)
Grenny Krewson 29
Bob McFarland 12
Ted Carpenter 11
Kirk Hershey 9
Johnny Jones 8
Alex Knight 5
Bruce Pearce 4
The most interesting player on this list is Kirk Hershey. Like many guys in that era, he was a
three-sport star. His other sports were football and track. Though only for one season (1941),
he went on to play in the NFL. He split that season between the then-Cleveland Rams, who
drafted him, and the Eagles. He made one catch for 11 yards and did so for the Eagles.
During his PC days, Hershey lived at 3026 West Coulter Street, literally right across the street
from the school's football field.
Meanwhile, in that same season, Chestnut Hill Academy beat Bryn Athyn by a score of 92-19.
And the Hillers' scoring was done by . . . only five guys! Eberle, Godsall and Benner led the way
with 27, 26 and 25, respectively. Heist (10) and Pearson (four) fleshed out the scoring. Not sure
if the coach never took out his starters or the subs were completely unproductive.
The site of PC's game (see pic below) is still in use for middle school activities and the far end
remains home to the varsity wrestling team. Varsity basketball moved to the Graham Athletics
Center in the 1965-66 school year, then to the Dooney Field House in the 2014-15 school year.